Rockford Industrial Ingenuity
The Amos W. Woodward Millhouse, located on the edge of the Museum’s Severin Lake, is a replica of an operating water-powered machine shop. With no flowing water in Severin Lake to drive the wheel, electric pumps are used to deliver water to the sluice.
A century ago much of Rockford’s manufacturing relied on water power to operate their machinery. In 1869 Amos Woodward, the founder of the Woodward Governor Company, invented a mechanical governor which worked in conjunction with a water wheel to operate equipment. Tour by appointment only.